St Andrew's Church of England Primary School An intelligent heart acquires knowledge and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Proverbs 18:15


Parents of all children, whether resident in the school catchment area or not, who wish to apply for a place for their child in Reception Year should apply through the central systems organised by their Local Authority.


As a voluntary controlled school, when applications for admission exceed the number of places available, the admissions criteria for community and voluntary controlled schools will be applied by the Local Authority.


Individual pupils who have an Education, Health and Care Plan which names the school will be admitted.


In deciding on admissions for all community and voluntary controlled schools in Derbyshire, the following order of priority will be adopted.


  1. Looked after children and children who were looked after but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order). 
  2. Children living in the normal area served by the school at the time of application and admission who have brothers or sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission.  
  3. Children living in the normal area served by the school at the time of application and admission.  
  4. Children not living in the normal area served by the school but who have brothers or sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission.  
  5. In the case of voluntary controlled church schools, children whose parents request a place on religious grounds.*** 
  6. Other children whose parents have requested a place.


Where, in the case of 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 above, choices have to be made between children satisfying the same criteria, those children living nearest to the school (measured by straight line) will be given preference. ****


In Year Applications


Your child may need to move schools at a time other than when they start primary school. This is referred to as “In Year Admissions”. If you wish to apply for a place at our school at any time other than the usual intake period, then you will need to contact your Local Authority.


Definitions (taken from Derbyshire County Council’s “How to apply for a primary school place”)


*Living in the normal area is defined as the child having settled residence in a property which is the

child’s only or main residence. Documentary evidence, including proof of residence at the property

concerned, may be required e.g. council tax/utility bills, sale/rental agreements. The County Council reserves the right to withdraw any offer of a school place which has been obtained as a result of misleading or fraudulent information.


Please note a place cannot be guaranteed for any child, even those living in a school’s normal area.


**The term brother or sister includes:

(a) a half-brother and/or a half-sister

(b) a legally adopted child being regarded as a brother or sister

(c) a step-brother and/or step-sister residing in the same family unit


***Parents seeking a place at a voluntary controlled school on religious grounds need to have a

supplementary form completed by a Minister, Priest or Pastor or Religious leader if the child is a

member of another Christian Church or world Faith, who know the family and can confirm regular

attendance at public worship (Regular worship is defined as attendance at public worship at least once a month). The form is available from Derbyshire County Council and should be returned to the Admissions and Transport Team. Baptismal certificates, where appropriate, should also be supplied. Exceptional circumstances will be considered if explained in writing by the relevant religious leader.


****Route Measurement: The Children’s Services Department has a Geographic Information System (GIS) to measure the straight-line distance. It is measured by a standard straight-line distance calculated to within two metres. The location of the home address is the Delivery Point Address (normally the house front door) which is sourced from the PAF (Postal Address File) component of Address Base. For schools, the grid reference is taken from the postal address file and will normally be the centre of the school for primary phase schools, or the nearest gate or entrance for secondary schools.



Last Updated: September 2020

Religious conviction form in support of an application for a place

Further Information


Further information on admissions to primary schools can be found by visiting the admissions page for your local authority. This will be determined by where you live.


Below you will find links to the Derby City Council and the Derbyshire County Council admissions page.