Skip to content ↓

Subject Access Requests

As an organisation we collect and process data about individuals. We explain what information we collect, and why, in our Privacy Notices which can be found on our website.

Individuals, including children, have the right to obtain confirmation that their data is being processed and individuals, including children, have the right to submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) to gain access to their personal data in order to verify the lawfulness of the processing. You can ask for copies of information that we hold about you or a pupil who you have parental responsibility for or are a parent of at school.

Any person whose details are held/processed by the school (data subjects) has a general right to receive a copy of their own information. There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as data held for child protection or crime detection/prevention purposes.

All data subjects have the right to know:

  • What information is held?
  • Who holds it?
  • Why is it held?
  • What is the retention period?
  • That each data subject has rights and consent can be withdrawn at any time (to some things).
  • A right to request rectification, erasure or to limit or stop processing.
  • A right to complain.

Many of these questions will be within the Privacy Notices on the website.

When charges may be applied

A copy of the information requested will be supplied to the individual free of charge; however, we may impose a ‘reasonable fee’ to comply with requests for further copies of the same information. Where a request is manifestly unfounded, excessive or repetitive, a reasonable fee will be charged. All fees will be based on the administrative cost of providing the information.

Evidence of Identity

We may need to verify the identity of the person making the request before any information is supplied and in the case of subject access requests for children, we may ask for proof of parental responsibility.

Evidence of identity, on the basis of the information set out and the signature on the identity must be cross-checked to that on the application form. Discretion about employees and persons known to the school may be applicable but if ID evidence is not required an explanation must be provided by school staff and signed and dated accordingly.


Exemptions to a SAR exist and may include:

  • Education, Health, Social Work records
  • Examination marks and scripts
  • Safeguarding records
  • Special educational needs
  • Parental records and reports
  • Legal advice and proceedings
  • Adoption and Court records and/or reports
  • Regulatory activity and official requests e.g. DfE statistical information
  • National security, Crime and taxation
  • Journalism, literature and art
  • Research history, and statistics
  • Confidential references


However, in some circumstances, for example the school is closed for holidays, this may be extended by up to another calendar month.

All requests will be responded to without delay and the information will usually be provided within one calendar month of the request. However, this can be extended if, for example, the school was closed for holidays. The maximum extension is up to two months. In the event of numerous or complex requests, the period of compliance can also be extended for up to two months. The individual will be informed of this extension and will receive an explanation of why the extension is necessary, within one month of the receipt of the request.

Where a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, the school holds the right to refuse to respond to the request. The individual will be informed of this decision and the reasoning behind it, as well as their right to complain to the supervisory authority and to a judicial remedy, within one month of the refusal.

When we receive a request, we may ask you to be more specific about the information that you require. This is to ensure that requests are dealt with in an effective and timely manner and to refine any queries to make sure you access what you need, rather than being given a lot of information that may not be relevant to your query.

To collate and manage requests we have designated our School Business Assistants to co-ordinate all requests. Please ensure that all requests are made using the SAR form and are returned to the address given on the form. A copy of this form can be found on our website or obtained from the school office.

In some cases, we cannot share all information we hold on file if there are contractual, legal or regulatory reasons. We cannot release information provided by a third party without their consent, or in some cases you may be better to approach them directly, e.g. school nurses who are employed by the NHS.


If you wish to complain about the process, please see our complaints policy, a copy of which can be found on our website or obtained from the school office.

Subject Access Request Form

If you wish to make a SAR, please use the form below. We have included this as a Word version which you can download and type directly in to, and also as a PDF version which can be printed off and completed by hand. Copies of this form can also be obtained by contacting the school office.

Subject Access Request Forms

Complaints regarding Subject Access Requests

If the school does not comply with a Subject Access Request within 1 month (subject to any extension), or refuses all or part of the request, written reasons will be provided, setting out the principles for the refusal.

If you feel that the school have not dealt with your matter satisfactorily you can complaint to the Information Commissioner

By post:

Customer Contact

Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane



Or by email:

More information is on the ICO website