1. Put oven on to 180c or gas mark 4.
2. Weigh your eggs in their shells - maybe 3 or 4 ( I use 4).
3. Then weigh out the exact same in butter, sugar and self raising flour.
4. Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
5. Begin to add the eggs in , slowly and 1 at a time. Add a tablespoon of flour in if mixture begins to look like scrambled eggs.
6. Beat in a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
7. Fold in the flour.
8. Pour into a lined cake tin and cook for 40 - 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and let cake cool completely before slicing in half.
10. Add your filling, it could be jam and buttercream or fresh whipped cream, you could even try lemon curd. Yum!